Sunday, July 19, 2009

How to Take Better Baby Photos

Carrie Sandoval has been photographing babies for six years, and she has attracted quite a following. It’s easy to see why: her photos are composed with an almost magical attention to organic form, light and simplicity.

Ms. Sandoval, who is based in San Diego, specializes in photographing newborns, although she shoots children of all ages. She got her start in 2002 with she bought a D.S.L.R. to capture her own children, then a 3-year-old and 10-month-old twins. Next she began snapping shots of other children at play groups, and soon parents began asking her to photograph their children.

I asked Ms. Sandoval for some of her tips on taking great photos of babies. Here’s what she had to say.
Q

What shooting mode — manual, aperture, auto — do you use for babies?
A

When I was learning, I would set the camera on aperture priority. I would pay attention to what my camera was choosing for the shutter speed during different lighting situations. Now, I manually set all of my settings by metering first. The exposure is so much more precise this way, especially when photographing a baby on a black (or dark) background.
SandovalCourtesy of Carrie Sandoval
Q

It looks like you prefer a very shallow depth of field? Why is that?
A

Shallow depth of field yields a soft and dreamy background, which, in my opinion, complements a newborn perfectly. It also keeps the focus directly on the baby. Another reason is because I use all natural light, and the wide aperture lets more light into the camera.
Q

What type of lens do you recommend?
A

I am a prime lens junkie. They are fast and sharp as a tack. My favorite is the Nikkor 50mm 1.4G. Newborns don’t move away from me, so I don’t need a zoom anyway.
Q

Any tips for point-and-shoot camera users?
A

Turn your flash off and place your baby near a big window. Choose a window that is bright but doesn’t have direct, harsh light pouring through. For example, a west-facing window during the morning.
Q

Why do you prefer natural light? Are babies sensitive to flash?
A

No, flashes do not harm babies. I prefer natural light because I am able to use those wide-open apertures. Natural light is always so soft and pretty to me. Plus, I like having the ability to be spontaneous around the house and not having to set up studio lights.
Q

You take a lot of black-and-white images. Do you recommend that for casual photographers?
SandovalCourtesy of Carrie Sandoval
A

I shoot in color and convert to black and white in Photoshop. I do love color, but newborn babies are oftentimes blotchy and red. This is less noticeable in black and white and easier to “fix.” I have been keeping color a lot more often lately, though. I prefer babies in soft, muted, natural (not overprocessed) colors.
Q

Any advice on taking photos outdoors?
A

I recommend simple, snug-fitting, solid-colored clothes that won’t distract from the baby itself. Bowls and baskets are the perfect outdoor props, both for newborns and older babies. Again, look for soft indirect light, under a tree or behind the shady side of a wall. If you can wait until late afternoon (about two hours before sundown), the sweet light is much more plentiful.
Q

How should you approach your baby? Should you always get on his or her level?
A

I prefer to stay low and close to my subjects (hence the 50mm lens). I will sit with a baby, talk to him or her, and sing songs before bringing the camera out. Six to eight months is a great age because they usually love any smiling face that comes their way, and they are sitting but not yet crawling away from the camera.
Q

How do you capture a baby’s attention?
A

I will play peekaboo from behind the camera, sing and shake rattles. Once a baby tires of that, I will put my “lens puppet” on. It’s basically a hair scrunchie that I sewed ears and a tail and glued wiggly eyes on. Some will laugh and smile at it, others want to grab it.
SandovalCourtesy of Carrie Sandoval
Q

What are some easy poses for babies, both alone and with siblings?
A

For newborns, cradled in a beanbag yields many poses, like curling them up while they are asleep, much like they were in the womb. If baby has an older sibling, I will lay the older child down in the beanbag first, then lay baby next to them and ask them to hug the baby. For older babies — again, I love sitters, not yet crawling — there are so many possibilities, like sitting (facing forward, sideways and backward while twisting back to see the camera), on their backs sucking their toes, on their bellies propped up on their elbows or hands. It’s easy to add a sibling to any of these poses. Just remember to keep them close by asking for hugs and kisses.
Q

Looks like you prefer your babies naked. Why is that?
A

Because that is the way they were born! Nobody looks as good naked as a baby does. Their skin is soft, pure and plump.
Q

When is the best time of day to photograph babies? Do they have a “happy time”?
SandovalCourtesy of Carrie Sandoval
A

I have found that babies of all ages are more content in the morning hours, preferably after a nap and a good feed. If you want sleepy, curled-up newborn shots, I recommend photographing them before they are 2 weeks old.
Q

What are the mistakes that people most commonly make when photographing babies?
A

I love using props (bowls, baskets, vintage prams, slings), but I keep them simple and secondary. Oftentimes, I see too many props or loud props that steal the thunder from the baby. This is totally a personal preference, but I say keep it clean and simple.

No comments:

Post a Comment